DLA Land and Maritime Master Solicitation - Part VII - Palletization No. DC1636P001 - 96150
PART VII - PALLETIZATION NO. DC1636P001 - 96150
1. SCOPE. This sheet covers the requirements for palletization of DSCC items or supply for
handling, shipment, and storage.
2. REFERENCED DOCUMENTS. The following documents, of the issue in effect on the date of
solicitation, form a part of this palletization sheet to the extent specified herein:
FEDERAL NN-P-71 Pallets, Material Handling, Wood Stringer Construction 2-way and 4-way (Partial)
MILITARY MIL-STD-147 Palletized Unit Load
(Copies of listed federal and military specifications, standards, and associated documents
listed in the Department of Defense Index of Specifications and Standards (DODISS), should be
obtained from DoD Single Stock Point, Commanding Officer, Naval Publications and Forms
(Center, 5801 Tabor Ave., Philadelphia, PA 19120-5099).
Shipments of identical items packed in four or more shipping containers exceeding a total of
48 cubic feet per destination shall be palletized except when the shipping containers are
required to be skidded (see 3c), or a quantity of four shipping containers pallet exceeds the
size of weight limitations for palletized loads (see 3a and 3b, as applicable). Shipments packed
Level A shall be palletized in accordance with 3b.
a. Material may be palletized on commercial pallets provided the load meets the following
(1) The load does not exceed 52 inches in length or width, 54 inches in height, and
(2) The load is prepared and secured in a manner that will ensure carrier acceptance
and permit safe rehandling at destination.
b. Palletization shall comply with MIL-STD-147 and appendices there to modified as
(1) Loads shall be stable and shall not exceed the size and overseas limitations of
(2) Glued loads shall not be used.
(3) For Level A packing, pallets shall comply with NN-P-71, Type V, class 1, size 2,
except softwood may be used and the size may be reduced to a minimum of 36 inches in length and
44 inches in width to properly fit the load.
(4) For Level B packing, pallets shall conform to NN-P-71, Type II, size 2; Type IV;
or Type V, class I, size 2. Wood used to construct pallets shall be group II, III, or IV, grade
A, as specified in NN-P-71.
(5) Residual quantities of less than the quantity required for one course of the
load need not be palletized.
c. Palletization is not required for shipping containers that are constructed with skids.
Shipping containers, except drums, exceeding 70 pounds gross weight or 40 inches in length,
shall be constructed with skids, skids, shall be a minimum of 3x4 inch (nominal) lumber and
shall be securely attached to permit multiple re-handling at destination. Drums shall be
Prepared by: DSCC
Columbus, Ohio 43218-3990
June 3, 1996